Friday, March 7, 2008

A Frozen Treat


This is the pier at Centennial Park....flooded and frozen. The retention pond serves as a dumping ground for several surrounding cities. With all of the snow, melt, rain, and snow again, this pond has reached it's limit. It has reached it and surpassed it. For some reason, I still love it. When I should be thinking, "Oh flooding, how horrible." I am rather thinking, "What a magnificent scene, the ice representing a cold and quiet solitude, peaceful even to me. A forceful rest."


Next to the pier are a few benches, where you can relax and enjoy the view. You don't however, want to rest on one today!


Frozen grasses trapped and flattened in the ice, make for some beautiful artwork. Terrific color combinations composed by winter's hand. Will spring loosen the grasp?


Perhaps we don't want it to? Winter's charm never ceases to entrap me, just like this oak leaf. There is beauty in the leaf's willful surrender.


These willow trees, surrounded by ice, make the best of the situation with a beautiful sunset reflection. How gracious am I to benefit from their lovely splendor even in the midst of their struggle.

I am listening to Gregorian chant right now and the relationship between nature and God is coming together very rapidly. For my friends who choose not to believe, you do not have an obligation to read any further. See you tomorrow! :)
For my friends that do (everybody is my friend you know...I don't discriminate), these images tell me a story of struggle and beauty. Every scene for me, echoes a truth of how victory conquered death.

With Easter fast approaching, we are reminded of Christ's seemingly impossible situation of being condemned on the cross. A wrongful death? Evil overcoming good? Or was there a purpose, a meaning to this horrible act?
Jesus' death on the cross was meant by his enemies for punishment, but allowed by God to atone for all of our sins, which is His promise. This promise is brought to life every time someone asks for forgiveness.
Here is what Jesus said after his resurrection:
"These things I have spoken to you , that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Just like today's images....the willows trapped, the grasses and leaves as well, right now it seems like destruction, but beauty overcame and death did not have victory.

Happy Lenten Season.