Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Good Morning Mourning Dove


I took this photo through my window with my scope, in the morning.
He is looking over his shoulder as if to say, "Are you looking at me? You wanna piece of me?"

No, Mr. Mourning Dove! I just like to watch you, maybe draw you....but definitely not a piece of you!
In fact, the mourning dove is one of my favorite birds. You might want to say, "Chi Nature Lady, why is this boring bird one of your favorites?"
Well......

*
Mourning doves mate for life. When one dies, the other is in mourning.
* They are very gentle to each other beneath my feeder, they take turns and don't fight.
* They make a whistling sound though their wings when disturbed.
* Their call sounds like an owl's.... "whoo-oo-oo-oo"
* The male brings the female twigs. As he stands on her back, she makes the nest.

Gentle mourning dove...peaceful and talented!