Friday, December 7, 2007

Nuthatch Nowhere!


Do you remember a couple of months ago when I said I spotted a red-breasted nuthatch at my feeder?
Click here for the post.

Unfortunately, that's the only time I've ever seen him.

I've thought since then, "Am I doing something wrong?", "Was it just a fluke?", "What can I do to get him back?"

And don't worry Henry...I'm not cheating on you, I have much bird love to go around!

Just then, I received an email from George LeClaire with the Chicago Daily Herald. He wrote a great article on how to have the red-breasted nuthatch eat right from your own hand!!! With amazing pictures!!! PROOF!
The article gives excellent tips on which type of food to use and what time of day to try.
Click here to read the article.

Not only can you read the article but you can view several photos George took on the red-breasted nuthatch in action. They're soooooo beautiful!
Click here for the photo gallery.

Well naturally this got me all excited over the nuthatch all over again! Even if I haven't seen him in a long time. Thanks to George LeClaire's article, I now know what to do to win my red-breasted nuthatch's heart back! And oh boy am I going to try! I will definitely keep everyone posted on the progress.

Thank you to George LeClaire with the Chicago Daily Herald for contacting me with a treasure of information! If anyone in the area tries his tips, make sure you contact him with your results. You can find an email through the links.

If you're in a happy bird mood, George also provided a couple of video links.
Video #1 shows how to attract different kinds of wild birds. Very beautiful pictures and neat sound effects.
Click here for video #1.

Video #2 shows great footage of the ruby-throated hummingbird at the Chicago Botanical Garden and still pictures from George's wife's garden! Again, great pics and sound.
Click here for video #2.

Thanks again George! I hope everyone enjoys.