Monday, April 14, 2008

Monk Parakeet Visit


Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised when I heard a loud "shreeeeeek" outside my window. You just can't mistake that sound, it's really, really loud! I knew my monk parakeet friends were outside! I haven't seen them stop by for a visit since last September. Funny, the last time they visited my neighbors feeders it was about 49°F and yesterday was a pretty chilly 40 something degrees. I wonder if that's a pattern?


I watched this handsome fellow for quite a while. He was shoveling out the seeds from the feeder onto the ground, much to the pleasant surprise of the evil squirrel right below (they always get lucky around here). It seems that the monk parakeet was only interested in the little bits of corn not seed, that's what it looked like through my binoculars, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, I'm thankful my parakeet friends returned (the other one was in the tree) and I heard their lovely shreeeeks!