Friday, April 25, 2008

White Throated Sparrow

Yipeeeee! Look what I found after work today!
Why, it's a white throated sparrow feeding on the ground of my neighbor's yard!


Can you see him? I know it's really hard. I can only zoom 3x and I also zoomed in on the computer too! Look for the little yellow spot on the birds head, accented by a black and white stripe. See him?!?


This one is more difficult. He is facing left and is camouflaged against the dirt floor. Difficulty spotting is definitely a 9 on the scale. Don't feel bad if you can't find him, if he weren't hopping around I would have missed him too!

Let's Learn About the White Throated Sparrow:
  • 6-7" bird
  • Yellow spot on head called, lore.
  • White or tan stripe with black on crown.
  • White patch on throat.
  • Migrates in the Chicago area, spends their winters in the southern part of the state.
  • Eats insects, fruit, seeds, will feed on the ground beneath feeders. (where mine were)
I'm so lucky to have spotted them so close to my house. I haven't noticed them here before. I just wanted to share with everyone else!
Yipeee!