Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe

Here is the latest pastel, which is titled: "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe....Moe Has a Seed"


This painting was done from a picture that Joan from Appalachian Journal took of a real bird line-up in her tree by her feeder. Click here to see the original picture and read story.
I love Joan's nature blog and was trilled when she gave me permission to paint this picture! For her generosity, she will receive a print in the mail shortly. :)

It has taken me since the end of January to complete this painting and I am super happy with it.
Why do I love this picture?

Well, first, I love Meeny's butt. That's the second bird. I must admit I did a good butt. This backwards bird drove Gary, my pastel teacher, nuts! Every time I brought it to class he asked, "Does that bird have to face in the opposite direction?" Every time I replied, "He must!"
Moe is the last one on the right and really does have a sunflower seed in his "mouth".
Eeny is a molting American Goldfinch. Do you see the bit of black on top of his head? In the spring/summer the top will become completely black.
Miny steals the show and just happened to receive an appropriate female name!

Secondly, I love how this painting breaks the rules in art world. You are never, NEVER, supposed to have an even number of subjects in a painting or picture. He, He, He....
That is why Meeny had to remain facing in the opposite direction like the real photo, it makes the composition work even when it's not supposed to.

Lastly, I love how the lighting is coming from underneath the birds and branches, highlighting all their bellies and one butt! Their big round bellies!

This painting is rather large at 23x14.5" and is framed with a 2" wood frame the same color as the highlight in the branches and is currently on display at the LaGrange Art Gallery until May 2nd. If it does not sell, it will be made available on Christine Kane Art after May 4th.

Celebrating Spring with birdies!
Thanks Joan!!!