Saturday, September 22, 2007

Woodpecker Treat

Good Saturday morning! Look who just payed me a visit at the suet cage. The very creature I was trying to attract 2 months ago when I purchased the cage! Finally the reward, the quest accomplished. It all started a few months ago when my husband and I were sitting in the backyard, when suddenly, a male woodpecker (I know because I saw a little red on his head) landed on the walnut tree next to our property and began softly pecking away. I was so excited when I pointed it out to my hubby, who does not get excited over birds, but I guess a little excitement rubbed off because he was thrilled too, I could tell. So started my quest to make the woodpecker a regular guest at my home. However, 2 months pass and no woodpecker, I attracted tons of starlings, ants, a squirrel, maybe a cardinal, but no woodpecker. Then......

Oooooh, Aaaaaah. Now, I know this is a female because of the lack of red on her head. I'm not quite sure if it's a Hairy or a Downy. Downy maybe because it looks about 6" long and has a smaller bill, I think. Hairy maybe because it announced it's arrival with a few loud "chirps" before it landed, which is a tell-tail sign (get it? ha, ha) in Stan's Notes from the book, Birds of Illinois, by Stan Tekiela (my favorite field guide book).



Here she is again resting in the pines. Isn't she beautiful? She is however very fidgety though, flying away with any movement I make inside my house. Don't worry Miss, you are so welcomed here!