Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mystery Solved


This is a stick that I found on the ground about a week ago. I just think it's cool. The dark bark is due to the stick being saturated by rain, I like how the bright white and tan colors of the growth contrast the darks on the stick.



That's some set of teeth you got there Mr. Stick! Close up pictures always reveal something amazing.

Do you remember this picture a few posts ago?


I was fascinated by the color of these mushrooms, wondering if the green was the mushroom taking on the color of the moss or if they were just green mushrooms. Well, Cestoady brought up an intelligent fact that perhaps it's algae growing on the mushrooms and not any of the above reason I had wondered. Very interesting!

I happened to ask David Fischer with www.americanmushrooms.com who co-wrote, Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America and Mushrooms of Northeastern North America, and asked him about my "very smart person's" (Cestoady) comment.

Here is David's Responce:

"The mushrooms appear to be a Trametes or, less likely, a Stereum (I can't tell without seeing a very tight close-up of the undersurface). Your very smart person is correct: the green is caused by algae that are using the mushroom as a substrate."

Neat!

Great job Cestoady for your correct response and thank you to David Fisher who took the time to review my question!
Mystery solved.