Thursday, September 6, 2007

Who Me?????

Yes, you. Caught in the act, the very act of attempted birdie seed theft.
Just as he was about to climb those poles to seed heaven, I tapped on the window. In his failed attempt to look cute and innocent, he rose up and pointed to himself as if to say, "Who, me?" Your cuteness doesn't work with me, Mr. Squirrel. I know your game plan.
My neighbor hand feeds them. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Needless to say they've multiplied like crazy, inviting their friends and relatives to partake in Squirrel Feast. They like to take their hand fed little peanuts and dig them in my flower pots, removing the Flowers to make more room for harvest burial. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
There are some preventive measures you can take to live in harmony with these rascals. You can buy squirrel proof feeders, which have domes on top or beneath the feeder to prevent him from reaching the seeds. They also sell squirrel proof seed, which has red pepper mixed in. The squirrels taste it and don't like it, the birds can't taste it. You can actually mix it yourself to save money. Another measure it to lay chicken wire over pots and beds in spring to insure they won't go digging around.
I don't hate them. They are a little cute, on a count of all that fur and all. I guess I can learn to live with them